Monday 11 July 2011

Santa has been spotted in Kuusamo!

You can believe I was amazed when I saw Santa sitting by the shores of Lake Vuotunki as I was out rowing on a sunny summer afternoon. There he was, the great man himself. Just enjoying the beautiful summer’s day, bathing his feet in the lake. I just had to row a shore to have a chat with him. How do you address such an important person, is he for real?

Well, as soon as Santa sighted me, he started chatting. Saying he came out here to relax a while. His cottage is here and we all know cottages are perfect places to relax at. Santa was holding a fishing pole

- Any catch today, Santa? I asked

- It is not the catch that is important, it is the excuse to sit here and enjoy the afternoon. Santa replied, lifting the line out of the water… there was no bait on the hook, so fishing was not really on his mind.

I sat down close to Santa and asked him how he is enjoying the summer, must be lovely to have some holidays after the busy Christmas season?

- We are quite busy in the summer time, the toy workshops run on full speed. Some elves have been sent out to the world to research on what kind of toys and gifts the children will want this year. We also do a lot of planning, how to make it to all the homes in time. So a moment here by the lake is just perfect to relax…

We sat there chatting for a while, the great man and me. One thing that Santa does not miss in the summer is making the sauna “vastas”, the small bunches of birch twigs that are used in the sauna throughout the year. In the summer when the leaves are new and soft, we make the “vastas” for the coming winter. They are dried; some people prefer to freeze them. In the coldest time of winter we can have a breeze of summer when a dried or frozen vasta is softened in hot water in the sauna.

Then I continued my rowing over the lake and left Santa to enjoy the beauty of the northern summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment